Eclectus parrot: Intense sexual Dimorphism is quite unusual with the parrot species. In the simple words, it’s the visual physical differences between the genders. In his book Parrots of the Earth, the author Joseph Forshaw mentioned that the very first European ornithologists who watch Eclectus parrots, though they were of two different species.
- 1 Eclectus Parrot facts
- 1.1 Baby Eclectus Parrot
- 1.2 Eclectus Parrots as Pet
- 1.3 Eclectus Parrot Subspecies
- 1.4 Eclectus Parrot Suspected subspecies
- 1.5 Eclectus Parrot Food
- 1.6 Eclectus Parrot Diet
- 1.7 Eclectus Parrot Care
- 1.8 Eclectus Parrot Behavior
- 1.9 Eclectus Parrot Breeding
- 1.10 Eclectus Parrot Biting
- 1.11 Eclectus Parrot voice
Eclectus Parrot facts
- He found gender wise difference as the male parrot are vivid green with glowing candy corn-colored beaks and blue or reddish wing and tail feathers.
- The average weight of the mature male Eclectus is 430gm with an assortment of 388 into 524.
- The mature female parrot is 452 gM with a variety of 375-550 mM.
- The upper part of the Jaw of an upper mandible of a male mandible parrot has a brown base and yellowish tip.
- On the contrary, the female Eclectus is the redhead with black beaks.
Baby Eclectus Parrot
Baby Eclectus parrot have dark brown and black irises instead of the yellow-gold / golden-orange color of the mature man. The Baby Eclectus will make an extremely sweet pet. It will feed by hand in the early days.
The Eclectus Parrot is a parrot found near the Solomon Islands, Sumba, New Guinea, and the surrounding area. It is different in the parrot family because of its sexual dimorphism of plumage’s color. Some of them are considered as pests to eat the fruits. Some population is restricted to be on a small island. Their bright feathers are used for decoration by the people live nearby.
The birds unexpectedly occupy the nutrient abundant canopy of lowland rainforests, one of the dense shadows, so the parrot is extremely tricky to see regardless of her vibrant colors. From the beneath, sharp red and purple colors of this parrot high up at the canopy seem black against the glowing sky, the special thing is the green color of this bird give a beautiful sight with all the colors of the rainforest.
Their existence is usually noticed by their own calls rather than by their awesome colors.
Eclectus Parrots as Pet
Eclectus Parrots are the ideal pet. Anyone can choose it for their home. It’s an awesome bird. If the educated correctly, they perform very decently from the very initial stage of their life. They are really very good to communicate with the human. In simple words other than human this species is the pioneer to behave with the human.
The Capability of this Eclectus to convey With people is a consequence of the exceptionally curious temperament, a characteristic closely linked to their own lifestyle from the rainforest canopy. This habitat is still a wealthy environment requiring an increased audible and visual intellect to grasp.
When handled in an affectionate and intelligent way, they can quickly learn how to communicate. Eclectus Parrots are very intelligent they can mold themselves as per the surrounding environment as they have strong capability to detect the changes in the nearby place.
Eclectus Parrot Subspecies
There are nine sub spices which are generally known, although all the subspecies also require review. As the field observation is limited and it’s difficult to observe their access to the resign where they live for the political and geographical reasons. Except that many species counted in the 19th century. The most common sub spices found in the captivity in the US museums are the Solomon Island, Vosmaer’s and the Red New Guinea.
- r.roratus, commonly known as Grand Eclectus, generally found in the southern Maluku Islands. On Buru, Seram, Ambon, Saparua, and Haruku. The subspecies is begun gradation with race vosmaeri on Seram.
- E. r. vosmaeri, commonly known as Vos Eclectus or Vosmaer’s eclectus, described by Rothschild. Sizewise big other than the subspecies nominated. They have comparably more yellow in the plumage, it is found in the North Maluku territory. The male Eclectus parrot has a different look in the head and neck with a little more yellow-toned plumage along a bluer tail with a pale lemon border. On the contrary, a Female Eclectus parrot is having a brighter red on the back, wings, and head. She has approx an inch bright pure yellowtail.
- E. r. cornelia, commonly known Sumba Island Eclectus parrot, described by Bonaparte. It is also big than the Eclectus parrot, The female has a red plumage and the male is overall green in paler shade and bluer tail.
- E. r. Riedel, commonly known as Tanimbar Islands Eclectus parrot. As the name shown it’s found on the Tanimbar Islands. It is a little smaller. The Female Tanimbar Islands Eclectus parrot has all red plumage along a wide yellow band on the tail. Whereas the Male Tanimbar Islands Eclectus parrot has a bluish tinge on the green neck and cheeks. He has also a wide yellow band on the edge of the tail.
- E. r. polychloros, commonly known as New Guinea red-sided Eclectus parrot, It was assigned Scopoli. The male New Guinea red-sided Eclectus parrot has green plumage with a small yellow tinge. The tail is decorated with a half inch yellow band. All the feathers are blue and green whereas the central tail is green. They are widely distributed in the West Papua territories western and Kai Island in the west, New Guinea to Trobriands, Louisiade Archipelago and D’Entrecasteaux Islands to east. It has also in Goram Islands, Indonesia.
- E. r. macgillivrayi, commonly known as Australian Eclectus parrot, designated by Gregory Mathews in 1912. Larger among the species. It’s generally It is found in the Cape York Peninsula.
- E. r. solomonensis, commonly known as Solomon Island Eclectus parrot, It is a smaller one. The male Solomon Island Eclectus parrot has paler orange in the upper mandible The male has a yellow tint green color.
Eclectus Parrot Suspected subspecies
- Aru Island Eclectus parrot ( r. aruensis) – some people believes that it’s a different subspecies. The male Aru Island Eclectus parrot has a yellow tip on the tail. The same has penetrated with pink, orange, or bright red. Still, this is the only subspecies which has been described similar tail feathers colors. The Aru Island Eclectus parrots weight is 100 grams. It has heavy and larger than the E. r. polychloros.
- Biak Island Eclectus parrot ( r. bias) – Some people believes that the Biak eclectus is valid from E. r. polychloros whether it’s doubtfull. Others believe that due to their size, behavior, and vocalization, it’s a different subspecies.
- Westerman’s Eclectus parrot ( r. westermani) – Whereas Joseph Forshaw is subspecies about its status. He viewed that its existence is unclear and different. It’s nearly or completely extinct. They have clipped tails and wings and There is no equality seen in the colors of the female, that’s indicating the things that they are crossbred aviary birds.
Eclectus Parrot Food
The Eclectus love to live in an open area, especially in the dense forests. Their food consists of unripe nuts, fruits, flower, leaf buds, wild figs, and some seeds. When they are in the captivity and under observation Eclectus parrots eating fruits such as pomegranate, bananas, stone fruits, grapes, mangoes, guavas, melons, citrus fruits, pears, apples, and papaya. Eclectus parrot digestive system is really strong and long lasting so it can be bear a high fiber food easily.
Eclectus parrots who live in captivity need high beta-carotene vegetables like fresh broccoli clumps, lightly cooked the sweet potato and fresh corn on the cob. Fresh commercial dandelion or endive are really very imperative to provide calcium and desired nutrition.
Eclectus Parrot Diet
As like to the other pets they are not likely to serve avocado and chocolate. They never offer high junk food like pizza which if human processed commercial food and French fries. Parrots are not comfortable with lactose in milk as they are not able to digest the same easily.
They enjoy the seed item Spray millet the most, although the Eclectus parrot diet does n’t contain much seed items as compared to the other species. Soaked and cooked beans along with brown rice will provide the protein to the bird. Seeds and nuts are the best sources of Vitamin E. Too much fat must be avoided in the diet.
Eclectus Parrot Care
The captive eclectus are really very sensitive about the muscle twist, which is in the form of wing flipping and toe-tapping. The causes for such a thing is not clear. The chemical imbalance in vitamin and minerals is one of the main cause. This prevents to intake of calcium. This often occurs due to feeding commercially products. These movements are not generally observed in the wild scenario. Artificially colored food items also cause allergic reactions. Sometimes it creates itchiness which causes to skin and feather damage.
Eclectus Parrot Behavior
This bird is generally very calm when it is in captive. They are very Lugubrious but it’s very important to direct them to do nice behavior. They also use their beak to untangle the matted bush to expand the size of the nest, good shape of their beak to help them to do so. The female is more competitive than the male, on the contrary, the male is more sensitive. The female Eclectus parrot is controlling the whole family.
Eclectus Parrot Breeding
The dense forest with old and large trees are the Eclectus Parrots natural habitat. They make their nest in the hollow of the old trees. The female parrot vigorously defends her nest with the other females. They fight for the nest sometimes near to death. The female remains in the nest for approx 11 months. Very rarely she strays from the hallow. She depends on several male parrots for food. For forage male, Eclectus may travel approx 20km. Multiple males take the responsibility to feed each female. For this care, each female allows each to mate and gives the right to become the father of their baby Eclectus parrots.
Females are ready to mate with multiple males. Male parrot search suitable hallow site for the nest. Female may lay two white eggs. Both the eggs are 40.0mm x 31.0 mm (1.57 in x 1.22 in). Female parrots incubate for 28 to 30 days. The baby Eclectus start to fly in 11 weeks. Eclectus Parrots will the maturity age in 02 or 03 years.
Female parrots have an awesome maternal instinct even if she is in captive. They displaying it with their behavior. they starting flying here and there, seek nesting space, climb on the drawers, search space under furniture. She is very defensive and possessive about their space. Female parrot will easily accept any else female’s abandoned egg. She incubates them till hatching even nurture the baby till it’ll not able to leave the nest.
Eclectus Parrot Biting
Eclectus, since most parrots, will likely detect in the early stage of life that their beaks can help them to save. The female Eclectus parrot can attack the human with their beak even if he or she is the favorite to her. Training is the only way to prevent such behavior.
Eclectus Parrot voice
They aren’t exactly the noisiest parrot species. They Are usually silent, nevertheless, when they predict. In Reality, their forecasts may be quite deafening. Not everyone can tolerate this noise. They could “voice” When they’re startled to defraud you once you return home. In noisy Families, Eclectus parrot might shout, merely to be a part of their audience.